Wednesday, March 27, 2013

A Very Vegan Venue

It was two weeks ago when my sister and I decided to try something new.

What had happened was she posted on her blog, The Grown-Up Girl, that she was going to eat healthier. In this particular post it said that she will drink one cup of tea every day, do a sinus rinse daily, sleep eight hours a night, and not drink soda nor eat candy. She also pledged to do yoga three times a week and watch no more than ten hours of television a week. As an avid reader of her blog I posted the comment:

"I'll join you on this adventure! Except for the soda thing. And the candy thing. And the walk thing. And I refuse to do that sinus rinse thing. And I think I'll substitute tea with hot chocolate. Same thing, right?"

I had no intention of actually changing my habits of drinking soda daily (my weakness), eating candy, or anything like that.

After my sister saw my comment she told me her plan to actually go vegan.
That's a scary word, I know.
Several texts later she was well aware that I thought it was a crazy idea and it'd never work.


Somehow, though, she convinced me to join her.


So the following week we went vegan.

What does it mean to be a vegan? I'll tell you!

NO dairy 
NO fish
NO meat
NO anything made with products from animals. 

Tricky, eh? 

I was insanely skeptical. I really dreaded this. But, I did it. I went vegan for one full week. 
What got me through it all?


Silk Chocolate Soymilk. 
Really quite delicious, actually. 

I am big on animal rights but I am an omnivore. That means I eat vegetation and meat. MEAT.
I like meat.
I don't particularly enjoy vegetation.
Except spinach.
Spinach is good.

Anyway.....................................................................................................................................................

I dreaded going a week without meat. I was concerned for my protein intake. Frankly, I have no idea if my protein intake even dropped. I don't even know how to measure such things! But I will say not once in that week did I miss meat.

If anyone's wondering how my meals went, they went well.

Olivia, my sister who went on this vegan journey with me, was home all week and prepared recipes for the whole family that were vegan. And tasty! A lot of pastas and then rice with beans and things like that. Cut me some slack, it was two weeks ago.

Now, I don't encourage you all to go vegan especially since I don't know if you are vegan already.
It wasn't an enjoyable experience. Just an experience to be had.
I do encourage everyone to try something new.
This may be your something new.

As a friend told me,

"Anyone can do anything for one week."










Don't get all technical on me about lame things like "breathing," or "eating." 
The quote rocks. 

Nowadays I'm back to my omnivore ways and in fact just yesterday I tried some new meat!

It's as chill of a fish dish as possible, but I had fish and chips for dinner! 

My irish friend was very amused. She's tried to get me to eat it for a while now and I've always refused. 

WELL LOOK WHO'S LAUGHING NOW! 

Side note: 

I'm in SAN FRANCISCO this week! 
ALCATRAZ HERE I COME!

GUYS, LEGIT I'M SO FLIPPEN EXCITED FOR ALCATRAZ. IT'S LIKE A DREAM TO VISIT THE OLD PRISON. I'VE DONE SO MUCH RESEARCH FOR THIS TRIP THAT I CAN'T EVEN CONTAIN MY EXCITEMENT. I'M GOING TOMORROW MORNING AND DUDE, I'VE GOT SO MANY QUESTIONS FOR THE GUIDE ESPECIALLY REGARDING THE INFAMOUS ESCAPE ATTEMPT. YES, I SAY ATTEMPT BECAUSE I DO NOT BELIEVE THE ESCAPEES WERE SUCCESSFUL. I DON'T BELIEVE ANYONE CAN TRULY SURVIVE THEIR ESCAPE ROUTE. NOT AFTER ALL THINGS CONSIDERED. LET'S NOT GET INTO THAT. DUDE. ALCATRAZ.
HOME OF THE MOST NOTORIOUS PRISONERS EVER. 
DUDE.
THE ROCK.
ALCATRAZ.
I ...
I CAN'T EVEN. 
IT'S A DREAM COME TRUE. 
YOU KNOW WHAT CINDERELLA SAYS: 
A DREAM IS A WISH YOUR HEART MAKES, WHEN YOU'RE FAST ASLEEP. WELL, NOW YOU ALL KNOW WHAT GOES ON IN MAH DREAMS. AND MY HEART. ALCATRAZ. IT'S IN MY BLOOD. 

ALCATRAZ. 

No comments:

Post a Comment